Thursday, January 28, 2010

I have a confession.....

I am a bag whore. Totally, completely, utterly. I see handbags, totebags, clutches, even wallets and I want, no, need them. Forget clothes, or shoes. Bags are my thing. I don't know why. I don't understand it and I try not to put us into bankruptcy over it. But I was bad today. I bought my first real Coach bag. It's so ridiculous. I really wanted to wait until I had graduated and I wanted to buy it with my first official paycheck, but I didn't wait. Instead, I impulsively purchased the bag I didn't think existed. A black and brown tote.


You see I like to match. I am what you would call a "preppie." If I wear black shoes, then I carry a black bag. I like to wear cable knit sweaters, pearls and loafers with jeans. So I wanted a bag that would do double duty. For the past couple of years I have been looking for a Coach bag with both black and brown on it and for whatever reason could never find one. I didn't want to start an expensive habit of collecting Coach bags just because, so I stuck to Vera Bradley. Which, to be completely honest, the amount of money I've spent on all the Vera I've bought would probably have gotten me a really nice Coach bag a long time ago, but I digress. My hygiene girls (I'll tell you about them another time as they are a post unto themselves) talked me into going to the outlet today. And there it was. The impossible black and brown tote. It was marked down. AND 50% off with another 20% off the total. It was a sign. I bought the bag, and a little card holder, and a keychain, and thankfully my girls talked me down from the big patent leather blue wallet I was holding.

So I have a Coach purse. I wish I could say I wasn't shallow and it doesn't really bring me joy....but dammit, it does. It's so pretty and chic, and I feel like a grown-up. I know that's silly. The rational, mature, non-material side of me is disgusted right now. But the silly, impulsive, immature side was in control today and I couldn't deny her....

I think with my first official paycheck I will buy some Yankees tickets for my husband....

2 comments:

Carol said...

I understand your dilemma. Although I don't go gaga over purses, I am more a makeup and craft supply whore. I will only buy clinique...I love it. As far as the scrapbook and stamp supplies go...if I am in a store where they carry them, I WILL buy something. I have been jonesing (sp?) so much lately for my little SB store by my house...which closed back in June. I made Dave take me to one in Orlando a couple of weeks ago, just so I could be inside one. Pathetic? Probably, but that's my obsession. And trust me, I buy way more than I actually use. I'm quite possibly a hoarder or junkie!!

Anywho...enjoy the bag and accessories, and don't feel guilty. Look how long it took you to buy one ;)

The Lowe Family said...

I love bags but I never make the leap to purchase. I am on the complete opposite spectrum, an embarrassing one handbag every two years kind of girl. I am jealous though, enjoy it! You deserve it!