Sunday, October 4, 2009

The business of being busy.

I haven't updated in a month. Sorry about that. Between the three hours of homework a night the Kracken's 1st grade teacher sends home every night, the 2 hours of reading I need to do with my own homework and a husband who's flying every other night has left me wondering if I'm going to go insane. Add to that the Princess who DOES NOT STOP MOVING EVER, and I'm very much looking forward to winter break.


School on my end is going really well, and despite a few not so good quizzes in Head and Neck anatomy (I was resting on my laurels a bit and not studying as well as I should have) I'm learning a lot. We have started student partners and tomorrow is gingival probing. So far, the actual technique of instrument handling and chair moving I've picked up and I seem to be having little light bulb moments of clarity in my tactile sense. I'm developing my "hygiene eyes" the ability to see with my fingers and one of the most important skills one has to develop with this profession. This is exciting for me, and shows me even more that this was something I knew that I would be good at.

The kids are doing very well and we've gotten a routine down for the week. It's a long day for them, but they are both so independent and outgoing, it hasn't affected them at all!

All in all, life is moving at the speed of light and we are all just hanging on for the ride. It's a little bumpy here and there, but all in all, it's super fun.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Kim,
You have a lot on your plate and it seems as though you are making it all work. As it goes, in the end you should be very proud you are able to accomplish all the hats you are balancing right now!

Love you
Aunt Ellen

Kim said...

Thanks Aunt Ell! Love you!

Melanie said...

I cannot believe that they would give three hours of homework a night to a child so young! I remember the only homework we had back then was to do things like practice a page of letters and color a picture. What happened??