Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just a little walk in the woods.

This past weekend Jas and I took the kiddos for a little hike in the woods up at the Delaware Water Gap.  We thought it would be a nice little walk.


It ended up being an 8 mile, intense hike.

The trail, which Jas had remembered from his childhood as "pretty easy and a good hike perfect for the kids", ended up being relatively uphill, through rock fields, over streams with no rocks to step on or logs to cross, and at points so narrow I truly thought we were going to slide down off the trail into the creek.  To say it was an easy hike would NOT be a good description.  I haven't truly hiked in quite awhile and while the trail ended up being much more challenging than we had anticipated, it was an awesome day!  


The kracken did so well, we were truly blown away!  Even Jas and I did good!  Our workout schedule is definitely paying off and I told him we would be doing this at least twice a month since it's fairly close and we could stay with his Mom.  He agreed.  We both love being in the woods and hiking and now I have grand plans of tackling the Battel Trail in Vermont.  We'll see if we can squeeze that in this year.  


The midpoint of our hike led us to Sunfish pond where we enjoyed a few snacks with some fellow hikers.  The trail was really packed but since everyone went at their own pace, the trail remained relatively quiet and tranquil.


We really did have a great day and I can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

What a great day you had! After a couple of "twice a month" hikes, I'm sure you will think it is pretty easy, too!
Lynchburg and the surrounding area has TONS of trails, if you are ever in the neighborhood!

Carol said...

Sounds like our kind of day! Glad you enjoyed it.

Trish Fahner Photography said...

I was worried..then I remembered you both have survival training...LOL...Fun family days are what memories are made of!

Kelly said...

Looks like a GREAT time and yay for the Kracken to do so well!!!!